Determinants of Human Development Index in Indonesia with Maqashid Sharia approach

Muhammad Ali Imran Caniago, Muhammad Ghafur Wibowo


The study examines factors that influence the Indonesian Human Development Index using the Maqashid Sharia approach. This study's sample is made up of several provinces with the Human Development Index for different categories of people. Data analysis employs a panel data regression model with a fixed effect model. The study's findings indicate that whereas variables Hifzu al-din, Hifzu al-aql, and Hifzu al-mal have a significant impact on the Index of Human Development, variables Hifzu al-nafs and Hifzu al-nasl have no significant impact on the Index of Human Development. Simultaneously, the variables Hifzu al-din, Hifzu al-nafs, Hifzu al-aql, Hifzu al-nasl, and Hifzu al-mal exhibit significant effects on the Human Development Index. Results of the determination test show that 98% of independent variables can influence dependent variables, with the remaining 2% being affected by variables not examined in this study. The study's findings recommended to the government that they support Hifzu Al-din in reducing crime rates, Hifzu Al-Aql by increasing the average length of schooling, and Hifzu Al-Mal in raising per capita income. By paying more attention to these issues, human development will eventually reach its full potential.


Human Development Index; Maqashid sharia; Islamic Human Development Index

Full Text:



Amin, R. M., Yusof, S. A., Haneef, M. A., Muhammad, M. O., & Oziev, G. (2015). The Integrated Development Index ( I-Dex ): A new comprehensive approach to measuring human development. Islamic Economic: Theory, Policy and Social Justice, 2(13).

Amman, J. (2022). The Muslim 500: The World’s 500 Most Influential Muslims (T. Elgawhary (ed.)). The Royal Islamic Strategic Studies Centre Sa’ed Bino Road, Dabuq.

Anto, M. H. (2010). Introducing an Islamic Human Development Index (I-HDI) to Measure Development in OIC Countries. Islamic Economic Studies, 19(2).

Arisman. (2018). Determinant of Human Development Index in ASEAN Countries. Signifikan: Jurnal Ilmu Ekonomi, 7(1), 118–137.

Auda, J. (2011). A Maqāṣidī Approach to Contemporary Application of the Sharī‘ah. Intellectual Discourse, 19(2), 193–217.

Badan Pusat Statistik. (2023). Indeks Pembangunan Manusia. Bps.Go.Id.

Fathur, M., Zuhada, R., & Dharma, B. (2023). SEIKO : Journal of Management & Business Determinan Indeks Pembangunan Manusia Dengan Pendekatan Maqasid Syariah Al Ghazali Di Provinsi Sumatera Utara. SEIKO: Journal of Management & Business, 6(2), 544–554.

Hasan, H., Ali, S. S., & Muhammad, M. (2018). Towards a Maqasid al-Sharı‘ah based Development Index. Journal of Islamic Business and Management (JIBM), 8(1).

Hasbi, M. Z. N., Munajat, M., & Qoyum, A. (2023). Human Development Index from the Islamic Perspective: Roles of Taxation, Zakah, and Health and Education Expenditures. Jurnal Ekonomi Malaysia, 57(1).

Herianingrum, S., Muhammad Nafik, H., Fauzi, Q., Afifa, F. U., & Laila, N. (2019). The effect of government expenditure on islamic human development index. Opcion, 35(88), 685–703.

Human Development Report. (2022). Human Development Report Report 2021/2022 overview.

Isa, M. M., Islmail, N. H., & Rasid, M. E. S. M. (2023). The Proposed i-HDI For Poverty Alleviation In OIC Countries. Al-Qanatir: International Journal Of Islamic Studies, 30(2).

P, M. B., Ismail, N., & Indra. (2015). Determinan Indeks Pembangunan Manusia: Analisa Pendekatan Maqāṣid SyarῙ’ah Al-Ghazali (Studi Kasus: Negara-Negara OKI). In Eksyar (Vol. 2, Issue 2, pp. 291–313).

Rama, A., & Yusuf, B. (2019). Construction of Islamic human development index. Journal of King Abdulaziz University, Islamic Economics, 32(1), 43–64.

Risdiana, F. Y. (2020). Analisis Pengaruh Jumlah Penduduk Perempuan Terhadap Indeks Pembangunan Manusia. ENTITA: Jurnal Pendidikan Ilmu Pengetahuan Sosial Dan Ilmu-Ilmu Sosial, 2(2), 257–270.

Sabar, Z., Hamzah, M. Z., & Basri, Y. Z. (2017). Analisis Dampak Maqashid Syariah Terhadap Indeks Pembangunan Manusia di Pulau Sumatera. Al-Awqaf: Jurnal Wakaf Dan Ekonomi Islam, 10(2), 184–200.

Sardini, S., Nasution, M. L. I., & Harahap, R. D. (2023). Determinants of Human Development Index Using Asy Syatibi’s Maqashid Sharia Approach In North Sumatra Province. Indonesian Interdisciplinary Journal of Sharia Economics (IIJSE), 6(3), 1791–1810.

Todaro, M. P., & Smith, S. C. (2015). Economic Development (12th ed.). Pearson.

United Nation. (2023). Sustainable Development Goals. Un.Org.

United Nation Development Programme. (2023). Human Development Index (HDI). Hdr.Undp.Org.

Widarjono, A. (2013). Ekonometrika: Teori dan Aplikasi Untuk Ekonomi dan Bisnis. (Edisi keem). Yogyakarta: Ekonesia FE UII.

World Health Organization. (2015). Milenium Development Goals. World Health Organization.


  • There are currently no refbacks.